Saturday 27 September 2014

The Confession



I’d been dancing with Billy on and off for like half an hour when suddenly I noticed Millie and Nick having an argument in the corner. They were huddled up together in a tense looking conversation, Nick was gesturing wildly and Millie was pushing at his chest. Will walked over and interrupted them and I quickly turned my attention back to Billy. 

“Anna, I think we’re going to go.” Will snuck up behind me, giving me the ‘did you see that?’ eyes.

“I can take her home later mate.” Billy interrupted smiling down at me.

“I think I’ll just stay here for a bit longer, I’m fine with Billy.” I answered grabbing my cider and having a big sip.

“No Anna, it’s not a good idea to stay.” Nick was suddenly at our side too, his face stormy.

“What’s your problem man? We’re having fun.” Billy replied quickly.

“You’ve been drinking, so you can’t drive and I’m not just gonna leave her here alone with you.” Nick answered forcefully.

Billy went to say something back but I interrupted;

“No it’s ok Billy, I’ll just see you at school on Monday...I probably should get home anyway.” I said 
trying to keep the peace.

“Alright Anna, whatever you want. Can I at least have a quick kiss goodbye?” Billy asked with a cheeky smile.

I smiled at him and kissed his cheek, he quickly turned his face so our lips connected briefly. Nick sighed in the background.

“What’s your problem?” I said as Nick was grabbing my arm and leading me to the car. The other two were already waiting, we snuck back into the back seat, while the Marie and Will sung to the radio extremely off key.

“I don’t have a problem; I just don’t want you to waste your time with a guy like Billy.”

“What’s wrong with Billy?” I said with a bite to my voice.

“His not good enough for you…Anna, you don’t need to settle for a guy like Billy.” His tone 
 softened.

“I am not settling for anyone Nick, I was just having fun. What’s going on with you and Millie?” I said keeping my voice low, Will and Marie didn’t need to hear this convo.

“We broke up. She…she…it’s just a mess Anna.” He said shaking his head.

“Is there anything I can do for you Nick?” I said looking up at him.

“You’re doing everything you can right now.” He said as he kissed me on the forehead.

“I’m sorry.” I said pain etched all over his face.

I vaguely heard the other two turn the radio down and start talking about the party, but I just slept leaning against Nick in Wills old car, to be honest I’ve never felt more at home then when I was with Nick.

Will ended up giving Nick his car for the night, so he didn’t have to back track in his car. After the other two were dropped off, it was just me and Nick, it was now or never I suppose...Worse comes to worse I could blame it on the alcohol in the morning, and hopefully it would all work out.

“Nick, I’m going to say something...and then if things get awkward well we’re just going to ignore it in the morning, ok?” I said carefully.

“Hit me with it Anna Banana.” Nick said barely paying attention to what I was saying.

I started laughing uncontrollably, that’s what happens when I get nervous, “I have feelings for you.” I said laughing and snorting all the way through my short sentence.

“What kind of feelings Anna?” He asked still not convinced on what he was about to hear.

“I would like to be with you…feelings.” I answered tears pricking my eyes.

Nick’s face when from confusion to shock in a matter of seconds, he had plenty of girls telling him they had feelings for him, I guess he wasn’t expecting it to be me.

“Umm...ah...oh, I uh don’t know...what to umm say...”He finished awkwardly. Suddenly my cheeks burned with embarrassment, I guess it wasn’t the right time. It didn’t help that we weren’t getting to my house quickly; Nick had practically slowed to a full stop.

“I think it’s pretty clear you...don’t have to say anything.” I muttered, completely avoiding eye contact with him as tears threatened to spill on my face.

“No I’m just surprised...I don’t...” He mumbled, obviously not knowing how to react.
I finally plucked the courage to look at him, “Just take me home please Nick.”

“Um ok, are you sure you’re ok to go home? Your dad won’t be too mad, that your drunk and getting home after curfew?”

“No it won’t matter...” I answered, even though it would definitely matter.

“Well...I already texted your brother and said you were staying at mine, so...”

I don’t know why he couldn’t have told me earlier, before I confessed my feelings to him and I was forced into a painfully awkward sleepover.

“...great.” 


“So umm you can just sleep in my bed...did you want me to sleep on the couch...or?” Nick was being even more awkward then me. He and I had plenty of sleepovers, and we had always just shared his bed, it was never an issue with his parents, as we’d known each other for ever, that’s just the way it always was. 

“No, just go to sleep Nick...” I said crawling to the edge of the bed, as far away from Nick as possible.

2 comments:

  1. These conversations never go well! Lol Great post!

    --Nicole M.

    ReplyDelete