Monday 29 September 2014

Hard Times

“ANNA! ANNA! ANNA! ANNA! ANNA!” Mickey – Nick’s little sister was squealing in an attempt to wake me up.

 
“Mickey! Hi beautiful! Why are you up so early...”I asked, my voice was crockey and a massive hangover was coming my way.

“I missed you Annie, I haven’t seen you since my 4th birthday party!” She laughed sitting next to me on the bed.

“I know, did Nick give you your present from me?” I asked trying to orientate myself.

“Yesssssssss I love Barbie movies, how did you know?” She asked staring into my eyes.

“I’m not telling you...” I winked at her, only then did I notice Nick standing in his doorway with a cup of coffee for me. Suddenly memories from last night flooded back to me, the confession, and the awkward pauses. It was almost too much to bear.

“ANNA! Is it true she’s here?” I heard Nick’s mum Lillian bellowing out for me, Nick just shook his head, “She’s in here mum!”

We had a lovely reunion in Nick’s bedroom, my bra half hanging off and my make-up was smothered all over my face. Nicks mum was this awesome bohemian woman; she wore long floral skirts and always left her red hair wild untamed. She was carefree and absolutely beautiful. Her husband Greg was the complete opposite, he was serious and definitely not a bohemian man. But you could tell he was completely infatuated with her, and he always looked truly happy when the whole family was all together.

“So what are you doing after I make you breakfast?” Lillian asked.

“I’m just going to get my dad to pick me up. He should be done with the farm stuff early today.”

“I’ll just drive you home it’s not a problem.” Nick said, it had been one of the first things he said to me all day. I simply nodded a reply, all while Lillian was giving us a strange look; she was too intuitive for her own good.

After a painfully awkward couple of hours of hanging out with Nick and his family they finally let us leave, now it was time for a painfully awkward car ride.

“Anna can we talk about last night?” Nick asked.

“I don’t think I want to, I would very much like to forget about last night...”

“So what, you didn’t mean it then?” He asked, sounding a little bit angry.

“What does it matter Nick? Regardless nothing could happen. Your reaction last night...it proved it.”

“For fucks sake Anna, it was a huge surprise...you want me to just react like I was expecting this?”

“No of course you weren’t expecting this, because it hasn’t been obvious, especially over the last six 
months.”

“Actually Anna it hasn’t been. Yeah you’ve been acting differently the last few months, I just that had something to do with your...new look.” He said.

“Ah yes my new look...which you failed to even mention.” I said a little bitterly.

“What am I supposed to say Anna? You look good since you lost weight.” He practically yelled.
I was shocked that he got so angry, I just sat there staring at him.

 “I didn’t mean it like that. I am dealing with a lot of shit right now Anna, like a lot. Millie and I just broke up…this is just too much for me right now.” He said looking at me like he was genuinely pained.

“Just pull over please, just let me out of the car, I get it...” Tears threatened to spill on my cheeks, I think a few did.

He just sighed as he pulled over, and I realised that things would definitely not be the same for a while.

6 comments:

  1. Cried a little bit for them both ! Aww young love !

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for your comment! :) I hope you're enjoying the story! ::)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the blog so much! Could you give us longer posts?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much!! I appreciate it! :) I will definitely work on it! The next few posts are already written, Ill see if I can combine them maybe! :)

      Delete
  4. Love the blog so much! Could you give us longer posts?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much!! I appreciate it! :) I will definitely work on it! The next few posts are already written, Ill see if I can combine them maybe! :)

      Delete