Friday 19 December 2014

Awkward Silence



 *I am going away next week so I am hoping to continue posting as normal but we shall see! :) 
Maybe even a bonus post! I hope you all are enjoying the blog!

I had told my dad and brothers that Nick was coming to dinner. I expected some awkwardness, just not quite so much.

My dad was surprisingly supporting of Nick coming over for dinner, my brothers just grunted at me when I told them.

I made a simple veggie and chicken stir-fry that tasted absolutely beautiful if you ask me. The doorbell rang right on 7pm, the exact time Nick said he would be here.

“I’ll get it.” James called out, I quickly flanked him, James was the most likely to be nice to Nick but you could never be so sure.

He flung the door open, Nicked looked a little pale.

“Hey man.” James went in for a quick man hug.

“James.” Nick said returning his hug.

They were talking about something I wasn’t interested in, so I walked ahead to the kitchen. Everything was all ready to go, I served it quickly and called out the back door to the shed, where my dad, George and Ed were doing something.

We all sat around the table talking about safe subjects. Safe subjects like football, school, and James’ travel. Then the long stretch of silence began, I started counting about a minute in. 2 minutes and forty five seconds of silence. Seriously time it out, it is awful.

“So…” James started, trying to break the tension.

“What are your plans for next year Nick?” He asked.

“Well Anna and I are talking about doing some travelling…” He started saying, but my crazy eyes cut him off. I hadn’t told my dad about that yet and no doubt he wouldn’t be happy.

“But you know. No firm plans yet.” He attempted to laugh it off.

“Of course there is no firm plans yet. You still have 6 months left of school.” Dad said seriously.
Bloody hell.

“Look this is a little uncomfortable for everyone, let’s just get through dinner without killing each other or me ending up grounded.” I said dramatically.

My dad looked and me and chuckled to himself, “Alright then love.” We wrapped it up pretty quickly after that. My brothers and Nick talking mostly about sports and stuff I didn’t really care about to be honest.

“Ok, I’m going to head off to bed.” Dad said, while I was packing up the dishes off the table, all of my brothers scrammed away too leaving Nick and I to clean up. Which I was very thankful for.

“I can’t believe they actually left us alone.” I murmured to Nick while he was putting away the dishes.

He just winked at me in response, “I’ve missed you Anna.” He said pulling me in for a quick hug.

“It’ll make things a lot easier now we can actually see each other.” I said pulling him towards me again.

“Do you want to go to a party on Friday?” Nick asked me while I was wiping up the dining room table.

“Whose party?” I asked.

“Ellie’s having a little gathering.” He answered.

“Yeah, ok that sounds like fun.” I said racking my brain to see if she had mentioned anything to me.

“We can pre drink at mine, my parents are going away.” Nick said, this is the first I’ve heard about 
that.

“Ok, I’ll see if one of the boys will drive us in.” I suddenly felt a little uncomfortable, was there a reason Nick hadn’t mentioned his family was going away and his house would be empty?

The night was pretty much done then, I edited one of Nick’s assignments which I had completed the previous week due to my lock down, and then it was time for him to leave.

No comments:

Post a Comment