Friday 12 December 2014

Communication Breakdown



I walked inside my house, George following close behind. It had been literally two weeks and my dad was still insisting this ridiculous rules stay in place. George had been pretty cool though and a few times has let me use his phone, I think he feels pretty sorry for me.
I walked straight to my room, coming down only to make a basic dinner for everyone. Most of the time it was a toasted sandwich or a pasta bake, something quick so I could hide back in my room – with my door open another rule. 

Tonight I had just finished making a salad, while James ended up grilling some steaks. “Are you ok Anna Banana? You are not your normal annoying self.” He said. James had been away for the last two weeks with Ed in Melbourne, which was complete torture, as much as I love my oldest brother I needed the other two to defuse the situation.

I just shook my head at his question, I was still furious about the whole thing.

“What is this standoff with dad about?” He asked seriously, so George and Dad must have kept quiet about everything.

“I really don’t think that you want to know…” I said not meeting his eyes.

“Come on? No secrets.” James said smiling.

“Lillian walked in on Nick and I…in a compromising situation. Then Lillian called dad.” I said my cheeks burning.

“Are you fucking serious?” James said covering his mouth in shock, but also trying to hide his smile.

“I mean do I look like I’m joking?” I said, I did briefly find the humour in this situation, but it had since disappeared.

“I’ll talk to him Anna.” He said nudging me slightly.
Dad walked into the kitchen, with George and Ed in tow. They were laughing about something, but 
sensing the seriousness in the kitchen it died down fairly quickly.

We all sat around the table, it was the first one I had sat down to since my imprisonment. The boys told us all about their trip, it was great they had such a good time. Ed has found somewhere he wants to rent, he is going back to Melbourne for University, I am going to miss him so much.

“So what has been going on around here?” James ventured carefully.

The room was silent, “Dad was put me on full on lockdown. Because Lillian walked in on me and Nick about to have se…” I said, but was interrupted.

“ANNA.” Dad raised his voice to silence me. Ed and George were particularly wide eyed at my outburst, James just stifled a giggle.

“Yes Dad?” I said, I think the other boys being back made me bold.
 
“Don’t you dare speak like that.” He warned under his breath.

“When is this lockdown over dad?” I asked meeting his eyes.

“When I decide it is Anna.” He said getting up from the chair to put is plate in the sink.

James, Ed and George all motioned for me to get out of the room, I gave them all crazy eyes but did as I was instructed. Just as I was walking about the stairs, I heard George speak first, “Dad don’t you think you are being a little harsh…” That’s all I head before shutting my bedroom door.

I found Ed’s phone on my bed, with a little note, “Go nuts sis.” My brothers were possibly the coolest people ever.

Nick and I had literally no time to ourselves since the incident two weeks ago, we saw each other at school, but we were constantly around other people and never actually got to talk about stuff. He was my first call.

The phone was ringing and my heart was beating in anticipation, he answered fairly quickly, but when we answered there was a lot of background noise.

“Ed?” He called over the noise.

“No it’s me,” my voice was barely above a whisper, I didn’t want anyone to hear me.

“Anna? You have a phone?!” He sounded ecstatic, I could tell he was trying to find a quiet corner, he also sounded a little bit drunk.

“Where are you?” I asked curiously.

“I’m at a party Anna. Is your dad relenting?” He asked, he was slurring and I couldn’t help but feel 
irritated, I was stuck at home and he wasn’t talk about double standard.

“Nope, Ed left his phone for me. Whose party are you at?” I asked interested that he didn’t tell me he was going to a party at lunch earlier that day.

“That’s nice of him, um it’s…its Millie’s party. Will is here with me.” He said, I think trying to justify him being at her party.

“Oh. Why didn’t you tell me you were going? I asked, I couldn’t help myself.

“I didn’t know I was going, she texted me after school. There was no way I could contact you.” He said slurring a bit.

“Well don’t let me keep you, I’ll talk to you soon.” I said quickly.

“Hey wait a second. I miss you Anna Banana.” He said sincerely.

“I miss you too, Nick.” I said my voice cracking slightly, tears pooling in my eyes.

“Are you ok?” He asked, even though he was a little bit drunk he could hear the sadness in my voice.

“Yeah I’m ok, better when dad calms down.” I said sniffling.                  

“Do you want me to come over tomorrow? Try and talk to him with you?” He asked.

“Such a sweet gesture, can I let you know tomorrow?” I said smiling into the phone.

“Of course beautiful girl.” He said, that is when I heard Millie in the background, “Come and dance with me Nick?”

“Millie.” His voice warned, while he was trying to cover the speaker in a hurry.

My heart started hammering in my chest, “Nick?” I said trying to keep my voice calm.

“Anna Banana that was nothing, Millie is a bit drunk and she’s asking everyone to dance. We are at a 
house party, like I said Will is here.” He said talking quickly, trying to explain.

“I’ll talk to you tomorrow hopefully, or I’ll see you at school on Monday.” I said, my voice had no emotion.

“Anna please don’t get off the phone like this.” He said a twinge of sadness in his voice.
Just then I heard the familiar sound of clomp, clomp, clomp up the stairs, my dad’s boots.

“Nick, I have to go Dads coming.”

“Ok beautiful.” He said sadly and we hung up. I quickly stuffed the phone behind a pillow.

So another thing that Nick hasn’t communicated to me, again to do with Millie. I only had a second to think about it though, because Dad knocked on my door and walked in. He was carrying my phone, laptop, iPad and keys.

“Monkey, I’ve been speaking to your brothers and I think I may have been a little hard on you.” He said gently.

“I would have to agree dad.” I said taking my phone and placing it straight on charge, before gesturing for him to sit next to me on my bed.

I just smiled and gave him a big, “I promise, I won’t grow up to much.”

“I think it’s a bit late for that Monkey.” He said giving me a quick smooch on the forehead, and 
walking out of the room.

I went downstairs a little while later to see what the rest of the family were up to, and I needed to thank them for everything.  All three of them were set up in front of the PlayStation, playing some car game. I plonked beside them.

“Your first night of freedom and you are going to hang out with you smelly brothers.” George said elbowing me. I gave him a swift kiss on the cheek, followed by a punch in the arm. George had been super supportive lately, not once mentioning to Dad about Nick meeting me out the front of school every day. He took me out for ice cream after school a few times, just to keep me out of the house, he was a good brother.

“What about us?” James said with mock outrage.

“I appreciate it guys, you know that I do.” I said smiling at them. “I may even make pancakes for you all in the morning to show how much!” I snatched the controller out of Ed’s hands to I could play, I of course was useless, but we had such a good night it didn’t matter.  Dad even came out and sat with us for a little bit.

The awesome night with my family, let me forget for a minute about Nick’s latest mistruth. I don’t know how to go about this, I can’t really be mad because I didn’t have a phone. But surely he had an idea he was going? Bah. I don’t know.

No comments:

Post a Comment