Wednesday 3 December 2014

Flashback: The Way We Were



Nick pulled his swag over us. I had decided to sneak in after everyone else went to sleep. The rule for the weekend was girls in the tent, boys in their swags. We were camping out the back of Nick’s house to celebrate the end of the school year.

“Can’t sleep?” He asked moving away slightly from me as I got comfortable.

“You know I hate sleeping outside.” I said, “How are you going?” I said.

“I am good. How is your mum doing?” With genuine curiosity.

"She has her good days and her bad…mostly bad days at the moment, the doctor still thinks she will pull out of it.” I said, fiddling with my nails. I always feel so uncomfortable in my own skin. Awkward and cautious of my body positions so I didn’t look fatter then I already was. It was hard being a fat girl.

“Anna, she will of course she will. Your mum is way too strong to let a little bit of cancer get her down.” He said mimicking, something we said when she first got sick.

“A little bit of cancer seems like a lot at the minute.” I said allowing myself to feel a little bit bitter.

“I know it does.” Nick said sympathetically, something I had gotten so sick of hearing lately.

“I am really scared Nick.” I said.

“Anna, you have so much support. You will never have to go through this alone.” He said with 
genuine concern.

“Yeah.” I said. “I should probably go back to bed, wouldn’t want Millie to see.” I said winking at him.

“Whatever Anna, she’s so into me.” He said smiling at me.

“Not that you have tickets on yourself.” I said smiling and crawling slowly out of the swag.

Suddenly we saw headlights speeding towards us, I quickly recognised Nicks dads car. Nick jumped out of his swag and stood next to me, we both feared what was next. My stomach dropped as I saw Lillian jump out of the car with bright red eyes and the normal smile the filled out her face was absent.

“Anna, sweetie. It best you come with us right now.” Mick said, Lillian losing her ability to speak.

“Why?” I asked, at this point Will came out and stood next to me. The rest of the group remained in the tent and in their swags.

“What’s going on?” Will asked in a confused state.

“Nick you guys haven’t been drinking have you?” Lillian asked.

He looked confused, “Of course not, why?”

“I think its best you send your friends home. I am sure Anna would like you and Will to come with 
us.”

“What is going on?” I asked bordering hysterical at this point, Lillian came over to me and grabbed my arm leading me to the car.

“Well why don’t you four go ahead and I will make sure everybody gets home.” Will said, obviously 
people felt it best to ignore my outbreak.

“Yes. Good idea, thank you William. We will see you soon” Mick said, suddenly taking control of the situation.

Lillian, Nick and I piled into the backseat and drove silently to the hospital.

I had never knew fear until that moment. Not fear like this anyway.

4 comments:

  1. The way you have written this definitely captures the fear you were feeling. My aunt passed away from two brain anyeuresms that ruptured. But before she actually passed, she was in a coma, unable to do anything. I was in 5th grade when it happened and my friends mom picked us up from school, which wasn't how our carpool went. My mom usually picked me up. Well I later found out it was because my aunt was basically dead. It was the hardest month of my life, living in the hospit. So I can feel Anna's pain in this post. I know how she is feeling. And it breaks my heart, even though this is fiction. Do you use any real life experiences for your blog? You should check mine out, too!
    Dating-and-commitment.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for sharing your story, it means a lot. These comments mean so much to me! I have lost my dad when I was young, although in a very different way to Anna. I will check out your blog! Thank you, thank you! :)

      Delete
  2. This flashback was amazingly written and so powerfully sad! Please continue writing about this! I'd love to know more about how Anna will deal with this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You know this post was a random addition? So these couple of comments mean so much to me! I will continue to do flashbacks, it gives you another element to Anna and to Anna and Nicks relationship. Thank you for your comments! :)

      Delete