Friday 28 November 2014

Secret (Wo)Mens Business



Marie picked me up early for school, she waited in the driveway why I finished pulling on my shoes and securing my hair into a high bun and let my fringe fall out, it was getting a bit long but it looked ok out. I called out my goodbyes to the family, even though Dad and George had begun work for the day hours ago, and the other two boys were sound asleep still.

“Hey girlie, sorry I took so long I woke up late.” I said while climbing into the front seat, and throwing my bag over the backseat.

“Not a problem, I still feel like a zombie this morning.” She said yawning while reversing out of my driveway.

“How was your night?” She said making her way to our favourite coffee shop, we had a late start at school today, so we planned on making the most of it.

“I think I am ready to have sex with Nick.” I said with more conviction then I felt, I had wanted to talk to Marie about this.

“WHAT? FINALLY!” She replied dramatically.

“I don’t know, I have been thinking about it a lot, it’s been three months and he obviously cares about me and I care about him...” I said detailing the reasons out to Marie made me realise I had already made my decision.

“Are you sure it’s not just a reaction to the fact you have both been more physical lately?” She asked.

“It might be part of it, but I know that even if Nick and I break up in 6 months I won’t regret it, he cares about it and I care about him. He is my friend first.” I said.

“Well it sounds like you’ve made up my mind.” She said with a big smile on her face.

We pulled up to the coffee shop and noticed that Nick’s truck was there.

“Nick must be here, his probably with Will.” I said smiling.

“Oh god, look at you all starry eyed, you will probably jump him in the café.” Marie said laughing.

I just rolled my eyes at her in response. We both walked in side by side, laughing about something that we had seen on Facebook the night before. My eyes immediately searched for Nick in the crowd. It didn’t take me long, he was sitting there with holding hands with none other than Millie, his former girlfriend who had ran her mouth about me throughout the school.

“Marie.” I said nodding in the direction of the table, she spun her head around quickly searching for made the colour drain from my face so quickly. Nick was smiling and dropped her hand gently, he look a little uncomfortable at Millie’s attention. That was about all I could handle, I marched right to the table with a big fake smile plastered on my face I was being closely followed by Marie.

“Nick. Millie.” I said staring both of them in the eyes.  Nick jumped up from the table very quickly, a guilty look splashed across his face. Millie just smiled at me with a smug smile on her face.

“Anna, nothing is…this is nothing.” Nick said his hand scratching the back of his neck.
“What is nothing Nick? Breakfasts with Millie?” I said the smile still there but it was starting to crack slightly.

“How did you manage to hide our bi-weekly breakfasts Nick?” Millie asked, her smile was smug, 
like she was finally getting what she wanted.

I couldn’t hide it, my eyes bugged out a little. I turned around on my heel, not wanting to have a fight with anyone in the café, Marie was close on my tail.

“Do you mind if we settle for instant coffee this morning Marie?” I said flying out of the café.

“Sounds good to me.” She said rubbing her hand on my back.

“Anna.” Nick shouted out after me, running through the door putting on his jacket. “Anna, STOP, please.” He called out.

I had my hand on the door-handle and turned around to face him, “Yes Nick?” I said, trying to keep my anger from spilling out unnecessarily.

“I want to talk about this. You need to understand what was happening in there.” He said, while gesturing wildly. It was then I noticed Millie watching us from the top of the stairs.

“And trust me we will definitely be talking about this, but not now, not while we have an audience.” I said starting pointedly in Millie’s direction. I reached down to open the door and he grabbed my arm.

“Anna…” He said exasperated.

“Later.” I said with a serious expression.

Marie and I drove to school in silence, we pulled up to school and parked in a perfect spot.

“What do you think they were doing?” I asked a million crazy thoughts running through my mind.

“I think the only way you will know is if you talk to him.” She said looking straight ahead.

“They were holding hands…” I said remembering the sight before me.

“Talk to him.” She said nodding to the left where his truck was pulling up.

No comments:

Post a Comment