Tuesday 6 January 2015

Finding Comfort In The Wrong Places - Two posts



Hi everyone,

SO sorry about my disappearing act... We went away over the break and I was planning on scheduling the posts but I was so busy I didnt have time, so I was planning on bringing my hard drive with me with the posts but I forgot that too....I am awful seriously! I should have logged on and explained but I was pretty busy with the kiddlets! 

Thanks everyone. This is two posts in one and I will be uploading everyday this week - hopefully much earlier then this!! :)

Post:

I had told my dad and brothers that Nick was coming to dinner. I expected some awkwardness, but not literally sitting in silence for 3 minutes. 

My dad was surprisingly supporting of Nick coming over for dinner, my brothers just grunted at me when I told them.

I made a simple veggie and chicken stir-fry that tasted absolutely beautiful if you ask me. The doorbell rang right on 7pm, the exact time Nick said he would be here.

“I’ll get it.” James called out, I quickly flanked him, James was the most likely to be nice to Nick but you could never be so sure.

He flung the door open, Nicked looked a little pale.

“Hey man.” James went in for a quick man hug.

“James.” Nick said returning his hug.

They were talking about something I wasn’t interested in, so I walked ahead to the kitchen. Everything was all ready to go, I served it quickly and called out the back door to the shed, where my dad, George and Ed were doing something.

We all sat around the table talking about safe subjects. Safe subjects like football, school, and James’ travel. Then the long stretch of silence began, I started counting about a minute in. 3 minutes of silence. Seriously time it out, it is awful. I ended up giving James the crazy eyes and he talked about some football game from like 10 years ago that apparently they all knew about. Finally the conversation began again. Even if I had no clue what they were talking about.

“Ok, I’m going to head off to bed.” Dad said, while I was packing up the dishes off the table, all of my brothers scrammed away too leaving Nick and I to clean up. Which I was very thankful for.
“I can’t believe they actually left us alone.” I murmured to Nick while he was putting away the 
dishes.

He just winked at me in response, “I’ve missed you Anna.” He said pulling me in for a quick hug.
“It’ll make things a lot easier now we can actually see each other.” I said pulling him towards me again.

“Do you want to go to a party on Friday?” Nick asked me while I was wiping up the dining room table.

“Whose party?” I asked.

“Ellie’s having a little gathering.” He answered.

“Yeah, ok that sounds like fun.” I said racking my brain to see if she had mentioned anything to me.

“We can pre drink at mine, my parents are going away.” Nick said, this is the first I’ve heard about 
that.

“Ok, I’ll see if one of the boys will drive us in.” I suddenly felt a little uncomfortable, was there a reason Nick hadn’t mentioned his family was going away and his house would be empty?

The night was pretty much done then, I edited one of Nick’s assignments which I had completed the previous week due to my lock down, and then it was time for him to leave.

 
Post:

All four of us got ready for Ellie’s party at Nicks house, we drove straight from school to his house and all showered, before deciding to watch a movie before getting ready.

“No!” I screamed as yet another person got killed in this awful movie.

“Fuck this.” Marie said throwing her hands up in the air.

“Guys the movie was called The Murder Diaries, how did you not expect this?” Nick said.

Marie and I decided to stop watching, we went into the kitchen and got ourselves a cider.

“That movie is horrific, why are they watching it?” Marie asked.

“No idea.” I answered, I lowered my voice a bit, and I asked “Do you think it’s weird that Nick didn’t tell me that his parents were going away?”

She thought for a second, “I don’t think so…maybe he thought after last time it would be too much.”

“Hmmm, I suppose so. Do I just go home tonight then?” I asked.

“I don’t know, I guess you just wait until you have a few drinks and then ask him.” She smiled at me.

I nodded and soon the boys joined us in the kitchen, “We turned the movie off.” Nick said sitting next to me, while Will grabbed them both drinks.

“That movie was awful.” I said shaking my head, trying to rid the memory.

“Are you all excited for tonight?” Nick asked giving me a quick kiss on the forehead.

“Should be a good night.” Will said and we all agreed.

I went into Nick’s room to start getting ready, he had a big mirror in his room so I just sat there and started fiddling with my hair, should I go up or down, curly or straight, or half, half. Being a girl was so complicated sometimes.

Nick came in to his bedroom and sat on his bed, silently watching me getting ready. We kept catching each other’s eyes in the mirror and I decided to get up and sit next to him.

“You know I hate it when you watch me.” I said sitting close to him.

“Do you think it’s weird I didn’t tell you my parents were going away?” He asked me suddenly.

“To be honest, yes I do a bit.” I said laying my head on his shoulder and giving him a kiss on the arm.

“I didn’t know if I should mention it…or if it would be weird…or you had reconsidered things.” He 
said wrapping his arm around my shoulder.

“Its ok, I think we are both overthinking it a bit.” I said shoving him gently.

“Come here.” He said laying down and pulling me down next to him.

We laid down next to each other enjoying the quiet, beside the other two and the occasional singing we could hear from the bathroom.

I let my eyes close briefly, “Ehhhh you guys clothed?” Marie said half covering her eyes.

“Of course we are, come in Marie.” I said sitting up and returning to my place by the mirror.

James dropped us off to the party. We had all had a bit to the drink and stumbled inside, I was wearing a black dress and a brown sandals, Marie had gone for a coloured maxi and some nude flats, the boys were just wearing shorts and shirts.

Ellie ran over and gave us all a big hug, she got us a drink and pulled me onto the dance floor.

“I’m so happy you and Nick are together. You just work you know.” Ellie said while we were dancing, Ellie was a cool chick, she was chilled out, she kind of floats around the groups but she is very genuine and lots of fun.

“Thank you, that is very sweet.” I said laughing, then Ellie decided it was a wonderful idea if we did shots.

About half an hour later I went on the search for Nick, I walked outside and saw him sitting with Millie, she was hysterically crying and Nick was rubbing her back. What annoyed me most was they were sitting secluded from everyone else, while her friends watched on from the sidelines.

I debated whether to walk over there or go back inside and find someone to talk to. I could see a few people watching me, waiting for a reaction. So I did the mature thing and turned on my heel walked back inside and found Ellie and Marie and we did another round of shots.

“I’m going to ask you something, and I don’t want you to get annoyed.” Ellie slurred while we all piled into the bathroom.

“Ok, hit me.” I said trying to reapply my lipstick without it going everywhere.

“Why are you so fine with Millie and Nick always being alone and talking? She is out the freaking out at the moment, fully occupying his attention and you are in here with us.” Ellie hiccupped 
through her sentence.

“I…they went through some stuff, and he is still helping her through. I don’t know, it bloody sucks.” I said tears immediately sprung to my eyes.

“Oh Anna…I am so sorry. I shouldn’t have bought it up.” Ellie apologised and Marie shot me a concerned look.

“It’s fine. Maybe we should get back out there.” I said opening the door and walking out.

We all found another drink and headed out to the dance floor.

“Anna.” I felt Nick touching my back, right behind him was Millie.

“Yes?” I said giving her a cold look over his shoulder.

“I’ve got to take Millie home, do you want to come with us?” He said avoiding my eyes.

“There’s no one else?” I asked a little angrily.

“No Anna there isn’t.” Millie interrupted.

“Millie.” Nick warned.

“Do what you have to do.” I said to Nick.

“Anna, come here.” Nick pulled me aside.

I followed him into the bathroom so we could talk, “Why have you spent the whole night with her?” I asked.

“Millie has been a mess have you seen her?” He asked.

“I have, but why do you have to the one to comfort her?” I was furious.

“You know why.” He replied.

“Fine. Well do what you have to do. I’ll get my own way home.” I walked straight out and ignored 

Nick calling out my name, he stormed out of the house Millie close behind.

Will, Marie and I gravitated towards each other, I was cold and sad and all I wanted to do was go home.

“How did he even get her home?” I asked.

“Millie bought her car with her and he drove her home.” Will answered.

“I need to go home.” I said looking around at our options for a lift home, it was slim pickings of sober drivers.

“Oi Anna, do you want a lift?” Billy called from across the room. It was sorted then, we had a lift.

2 comments:

  1. Welcome back! I noticed that the 1st post is the same as the one from December 19. Was that intentional?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad I wasn't the only one with de ja vous

    ReplyDelete