Monday 19 January 2015

When Is Enough, Enough?



We sat in Nicks car in his driveway in silence.

“Nick. When is enough, enough?” I asked.

He looked at me sadly, “I don’t know Anna. I really am sorry.”

“I just feel like we have these awesome weeks, and then she comes in and ruins it.” I said.

“I know.” He answered, to be honest I wasn’t really expecting it.

“I love you, you know.” He said. “Like I really love you, and I will talk to Millie and tell her this shit can’t happen anymore.”

“I’ve heard this before Nick.” I said a little exasperated.

“I know, I know I have been a real shit.” He said.

“It’s like you…you don’t really care about my reaction to things, you can’t keep everyone happy all the time.” I said.

“Anna, what am I supposed to do?” He asked seriously.

“Think about it Nick, she has a million friends at school and she relies on you to pick her up…I am your girlfriend and you say you love me and yet it always comes back to her.” I said, this is probably the most honest I have ever been with him about Millie.

“I do love you Anna.” He said.

“It doesn’t feel like that Nick, not when we are on the way to pick up your Millie, even after you said this was done. I can’t keep going like this. I just can’t do this…” I said tears springing to my eyes.

“You are the most important person in my life.” He said trying to look at me, but I was too busy trying to get my crying under control looking out of the window.

“Yeah.” Was all I said in response.

“Anna.” Nick said, tugging at my arm to get me to look at him.

“Could you just drop me off home?” I said.

Next think I know, he has pulled out his phone and is dialling someone. I was furious I was a mess and here he was making a bloody phone call.

“Dave. Your sister just called me she needs to be picked up from a Southbar party. Are you free mate?” Nick asked someone who was clearly Millie’s brother.

I heard the guy on the other side of the phone, “Ah man…I am sorry she’s still doing this shit.”

They talked for a little while longer, Nick gave the address and messaged Millie telling her that her brother was picking her up.

I sat there in silence watching Nick organise everything.

 “Do you want me to take you home?” He asked.

I just shook my head in his response, we had too much to talk about.

“Anna. I am sorry. I…god I love you and I have been a dick. You are it Anna, I have given Millie so 
much of everything the last year, you are not something I am willing to sacrifice.”

“I don’t know what to say.” I said.

“You don’t have to say anything. This is how it’s going to be, I promise.” He said reassuring me.


4 comments:

  1. Yay!! Now he just has to tell Millie. I hope she gets it and doesnt get worse.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So glad you enjoyed it! :) Please keep commenting! :)

      Delete