Saturday 4 October 2014

First Date



Billy had been texting my pretty much every day since Millie’s party, continuously asking me to go out with him. I had finally agreed, at least if nothing else it would be a nice meal and good conversation.

“So I’ll pick you up at like 7pm?” Billy asked, leaning against the locker next to mine.

“Sounds delightful.” I smiled.

“What movie are you thinking?” I asked.

“That’s a surprise…come on I’ll walk you to class.” He winked at me.


“I can’t believe you finally relented.” Marie shook her head at me, partly in shock and in shame I assumed.

“Billy’s cute, his nice and it’ll be a good time.” I explained, I needed to move on with this Nick stuff, it was clear he wasn’t going to suddenly develop feelings for me.

“What’ll be a good time?” Nick came over with his lunch in hand.

“Anna has a date tonight.” Marie explained casually... Marie literally has no filter.

“Who with?” Nick asked casually, but there was an undercurrent in his voice.

“Ahhh just with Billy...” I answered, putting the book I was reading for English into my bag.

“Hmm. That’ll be fun.” He answered shortly.

“Yeah should be…I better go, I have a free period after lunch so I’m just going to go home now.” I 
said.

“Yeah that’s cool, Nick can you take me home?” Marie asked.

“Sure.” He answered flicking imaginary dust particles of the table.

Billy is quite good looking, he plays on the school’s football team with Will and Nick. Billy’s family also own a major farm in our little town. We have always known him but when we get to high school we lost contact for a while after my mum passed, he, Nick and Will played football together but that’s about it.

Billy picked me up right on 7pm, he came inside where my three brothers and Dad were re-watching 
a football game from 1999.

Billy was brave enough to knock on the front door, with my families reputation it was very impressive. With a quick kiss on the cheek for a greeting we started to leave.

“Anna!” My Dad called out.

“Yeah Dad?” I said walking towards the lounge room.

“Hi Mr. Cross, James, Ed, George.” He nodded in their direction and smiled.

They all grunted in response and then my dad chimed in, “Get her home before 10. No funny business.” He said sternly.

It was at this point my brothers realised what was going on.

“Where are you going?” James piped up.

“Just to the movies.” I replied.

“Should we come?” James nodded in the direction of Ed. James Graduated two years ago and was only home for a week. He has done a tonne of travelling and now living in Melbourne going to arts school.

“Yeah what are you seeing, we could all go and see that new action flick?” Ed chimed in. Ed graduated last year, he is a bit of a smart ass. Ed and I are very close, he has no idea what he wants to do so he is off to Europe for a year to try and figure that out. I am going to miss him a lot.

“Ha ha. You guys are funny.” I smirked at them.

“What about you Georgey boy? Do you want to annoy your sister before she leaves?” My dad asked.

“I’ll just annoy her when she gets home.” George winked. George is the oldest, my mum got pregnant just out of high school. George helps dad out with the farm, he is fairly serious and very protective over me and my brothers.

I lucked out with my brothers that’s for sure, but at times when they’re bagging you out  its very easy to forget that.

“Shut up all of you. I will see you when I get home.” I smiled.

No comments:

Post a Comment