Wednesday 22 October 2014

Talk Is Cheap



Ed, James and I drove home in silence. Lucky James has chosen not to drink in case we wanted to go home early. 

Nick and Billy apologised profusely to Will for the room. Marie and I managed to clean up the room as best we could. We were going to get George to come and patch up the wall tomorrow, hopefully it would all be fixed before his parents get home.

“I am so sorry Will.” I was also apologising for my part in the disaster.

“Hey Anna, it’s not your fault. Boys will be boys.” Will said and pulled me for a hug.

“I genuinely didn’t know he’d be so pissed off.” I replied.

“Yeah it’s strange.” He replied – boys are so insightful, I suppose it was selfish of me trying to get information when his house was ruined.

Nick was sitting on the couch, Jimmy was driving Billy home and then coming back for all four of us. Marie and I cleaned the yard, there wasn’t too much damage. I went and sat in front of Nick on the coffee table.

“How are you feeling?” I asked seriously. He could barely look at me, “Not great Anna.”

“What happened Nick?” I asked tears brimming in my eyes again.

He was rubbing his forehead, “I have no idea, I’m so sorry. I would never hurt you, you have to know that.”

“I know that. I have never seen that side of you. Why?” I asked grabbing his purple hand and inspecting it.

He cringed in pain, still avoiding my eyes. “Anna I don’t know, seeing you with him…it made me so mad.”

“That’s not good enough Nick.” I said exasperated.

“I don’t know what to say Anna.” He said in a whisper.

I let go of his hand and stood up, just for a second I felt him grab my elbow in an attempt to get me to stop, but as quickly as I stopped and looked at him he was already burying his head in his hands.

“Hey Nick, Anna. James is back let’s go home.” Ed called out.

“Thanks Ed, I think I’ll just stay here tonight if that’s ok Will?” Nick replied.

“Yeah man, no worries.” Will replied.


I wondered down just before 9am to watch cartoons with Ed, he was there already with a huge stack of pancakes and juice ready.

“Hey.” I smiled.

“Hey, how did you sleep?” He asked.

“Not too bad…”I lied.

“Hmm.” He answered.

“I’m sorry about last night.” I said quietly.

“Hey, not your fault Anna.” He said with a wink.

“What’s all the racket down here?” Jimmy came down the stairs.

“Come in we are having pancakes and watching Ninja Turtles.” Ed answered.

“How you feeling Anna Banana?” Jimmy asked sitting next to me.

“Pretty good.” I smiled.

“Liar.” He replied.

I just shook my shoulders in response, “I want you both to know that Billy and I weren’t having sex 
or anything upstairs.” I said quickly, best to get the awkwardness out of the way.

“Thank god.” Jimmy say quickly, while they both had a moderately repulsed looks on their face.

“Ok don’t hog the pancakes.” I snatched them off Jimmy. “So did you guys have fun last night?” I 
asked cautiously.

“Yeah it was a pretty good party, before it all went down.” Ed said.

At the same moment George came back through his door with his toolbox.

“Hey guys.” He said.

“Hi Georgey boy.” I called out.

“Did you fix the wall?” Ed asked.

“Yep all done. Will managed to find some paint that matched the room Nick and Marie are painting it at the moment.” He said.

“Thanks heaps.” I said.

“No worries Anna Banana.” He winked in my direction.

“Come in, have a pancake.” I offered.

“Stop offering my pancakes to everyone.” Ed said clearly joking, I just stuck my tongue out at him.

“Thank you.” He said taking them and having a big bite.

“Ninja turtles…haven’t seen this show in agesss.” George said.

“What are all of you lazy bones doing?” My dad’s voice boomed through the lounge room.

“Come in dad, watch some TV?” I bellowed.

“I have a few more things to do.” He answered shortly.

“Please dad.” I asked, there must have been something about my voice because he relented and sat 
down next to Ed.

I realised this is the first time in a long time that we all spent time together, even if it was just watching cartoons we were together as a family. I could feel my mum with us at the point, just for a second it felt so real that I could have sworn she was sitting right next to my dad.

“I’m making dinner tomorrow for all of us, so clear you schedules.” I demanded.

Everyone nodded their heads, no-one said anything but I think we all felt like we had to make more of an effort to together.

“You sound just like your mum.” Dad said. That was the first time he mentioned her in a long time.

8 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Ah thank you so much! :) Love, love, love getting comments! :)

      Delete
  2. This blog is quickly becoming one of my favorites! I think I check it a bazillion times a day! but I seriously want to smack Nick on the back of the head and say "just spit it out!" :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You don't know how much this means to me!!! Thank you so much :) haha even I feel like that at the minute!

      Delete
  3. Just found this cant wait to catch up!

    http://realityofjaycee.blogspot.com/?zx=c29a7656c5f52260

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much! I'll catch up on your too :))

      Delete
  4. Just found this blog today, and I'm already caught up. Loving it!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank so much! Glad you're enjoying it! :) love these comments :)

    ReplyDelete